An outdoor winter sauna comes to Emerge East
Part of a packed line-up, one of the activities coming to Barking Riverside on Saturday 3rd December is a Riverside Sauna. Two pop-up saunas, ice cold plunge pools and bucket showers will be stationed on the banks of the River Thames, giving visitors the opportunity to immerse themselves in a breath-taking outdoor sauna. Featuring the expected feel good benefits of deep heat, cold contrast and delicious steam alongside a range of sauna rituals from around the world in a unique experience.
The Riverside Sauna is being brought to Emerge East by Katie Bracher, aka @saunamasteruk. Katie is on a mission to share the beauty of sweat bathing with the people of the UK and has been guiding, building and talking sauna since getting involved with the 2012 Barking Bath House project. Katie is at the forefront of the emerging UK sauna scene and in 2018 founded and created Beach Box Brighton - a pop-up seaside spa concept that sparked a wave of pop-up sauna businesses around the UK coastline.
The health benefits of sauna bathing and cold plunges are well-known; the heat of a sauna can increase blood flow, improve cardiovascular and respiratory functions, and even battle common colds and viruses by encouraging the production of white blood cells. Transferring from the warm sauna to the bracing outdoor air to a cold plunge will act as a trigger for blood vessels to contract, encouraging blood flow. As well as the physical benefits, sauna use can also be hugely beneficial for mental health and relaxation.
Katie comments: “The thing I love about saunas is the sense of community – being with other people in a shared space. Saunas allow you to truly connect to your body, taking you out of your ‘thinking brain’ and away from the stresses of every day life. The location of our Riverside Sauna on the banks of the Thames will also really help connect our users to nature – you step out of the sauna into this beautiful location. It’s awe-inspiring and joyful.”
Sauna sessions costing £12 can be booked in advance, and will last up to 90 minutes. During their sessions, participants will be guided by trained Sauna Masters who will share their in-sauna treatments and teach them how to maximise their experience.
There will also be representatives from the British Sauna Society in attendance, on-hand to speak to guests about the benefits of sauna bathing.
To mark the fist edition of Emerge East, we are offering free sauna tickets to a lucky winner through a competition running from Friday 25th November on Instagram.
- This competition is being run in conjunction with Hemingway Design in partnership with Barking Riverside Limited.
- The giveaway is open to anyone who correctly enters the competition. You must be over 16 to enter. Staff members of Barking Riverside Limited are not eligible to enter the giveaway. No payment will be taken from any entrants.
- Entrants must Follow Barking Riverside on Instagram, and tag at least 1 x friend in the comments of the post advertising the competition.
- There will be 1 winner who will receive the prize of 2 x tickets to The Riverside Sauna at Emerge East on Saturday 3rd December. The session time will be agreed with the winner.
- Entrance to and use of The Riverside Sauna on Saturday 3rd December shall at all times be subject to availability, capacity controls and The Riverside Sauna’s conditions of entry and use.
- The 2 x Sauna tickets cannot be exchanged for money.
- The tickets will be issued via the Eventbrite platform and sent via email to the winner.
- The prize draw closes on Monday 28th November. A computer programme will be used to randomly generate the winners.
- The winner will be announced on Instagram, and further conversation will be on email on or before Wednesday 30 November, using the email address requested by Barking Riverside Limited via Instagram direct message. If the winner does not claim the prize within 36 hours, they will forfeit the prize and a re-draw will take place. To claim the prize the winner will need to follow the instructions in the email they receive. The winner will receive their prize before Saturday 3rd December.
- No responsibility will be accepted for incomplete entries.
- In the event of a dispute Barking Riverside Limited’s decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By entering the prize draw you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions. Barking Riverside Limited reserves the right to refuse to award the prize to anyone in breach of the terms and conditions.
- Please retain a copy of these terms and conditions for your records.
- These terms and conditions shall be governed by English law and the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction.
- The Promoter is: Barking Riverside Limited, (company number 05055132) registered address 29-35 West Ham Lane, London E15 4PH
- If for any reason any aspect of this promotion is not capable of running as planned, including by reason of infection by computer virus, network failure, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any cause beyond the control of the Promoter which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this promotion, the Promoter may in its sole discretion cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the promotion or invalidate any affected entries, where required.
- All participants and entrants in this completion completely release Instagram of all liability.
- By entering into this competition, you acknowledge that the promotion is not sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram or any other social media used throughout the promotion.