History

Barking Power Station opened in 1925 and once was the largest power station in Britain to have been built as a complete station at one time.

The site was chosen for easy delivery of coal from the Thames and by rail, as well as the abundant water supply and space on the site for expansion. Two further developments were added in 1939 and 1954 and functioned until the 1980s, when the power station was decommissioned.

LATE 1700’s

Small fishing village and
popular tourist destination.

LATE 1800’s

A place for London to
dump its rubbish.

1890’s

Electricity becoming more
important, the need for
power stations increases.

LATE 1920

County of London Electric Supply Company
applies for permission to build a power station.

1982

Closure of Barking Power Station.

2016

New partnership formed in March 2016 with L&Q and GLA.

The MoL approves the new masterplan, which
set a new minimum delivery of affordable
homes target at 50%.

July 2017

Build work starts on plots 202B-202C & 203 by L&Q.

OCTOBER 2017

Build work starts on plots 201-202A by Bellway.

OCTOBER 2018

The first properties available to buy at
Barking Riverside London launched on 6th October 2018.

Register